Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Back in Action, Lesson Planning


Vertumnus. 1590-1591. Oil on wood. Skoklosters Slott, Balsta, Sweden.

I have decided to "re-start" my art education blog today. I am currently teaching a two day a week afternoon art program. I haven't taught by myself in 6 months, I am back in action, working on some new as well as modified lessons. So, I thought what better way to remember my lessons, but to blog about them. Even if no one is reading, I will have this blog to look back at whenever I feel a bit stuck. I don't know about you but I have lessons on Cd's and on flash drives, and in rubbermaid containers, and in books, and on and on and on. So, as a newly married woman, with a new name, and with my student teaching placement starting on September 8th; I am going to write about my summer teaching experience. I would like to remember what works, what doesn't work. What engaged the students for what could be hours or what lasted only 5 minutes.

So...I am currently working on a lesson I derived from the wonderful "incredible art department" website. The lesson is based on Giuseppe Arcimboldo. I never heard of him in any of my art survey or history classes. I just love this lesson because of the kinetic experience children can have. It involves movement, art skills, and interpretation of self.

Here is the link to the lesson:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/Nerina-ArcPortraits.htm


Giuseppe Arcimboldo’s paintings of composed heads pieced together pieces of fruit, foliage, and more are a great example of collage, portraiture, and Renaissance Art.

I actually tried this lesson with high school students last summer. They seemed to like it. The results were not as detailed as I would have preferred, but they were able to finish their heads in two hours. ( i rushed along very quickly due to the time frame) I think the self expression was their favorite aspect of the project. As well as act of creating a collage of abnormal findings. I gave the students the option of making their head 2-dimensional or 3-dimensional. They could draw in their head with colored pencils or they could cut, tear, and rip images out of magazines, tissue paper, and other random materials I brought in. ) things such as feathers, textured wallpaper samples, shiny paper, etc.

This Friday I am going to try the lesson out with 8 students. All different ages. Age 8 to 15. I will let you know how it goes...
Back in Action, Lesson PlanningSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment